Monday, 24 February 2014

My Depression Is Not A Cartoon Black Dog!

I'm getting really tired of the You Tube video - I had a black dog, his name was depression ... You may ask Why?

I find it insulting, patronising, infantile and poorly written.

Winston Churchill may have used the term 'Black Dog' but how was his life relevant to the mass population?A black dog is a poor metaphor for an illness which drives people to suicide, isolation, insanity and effects the families of sufferers no end. Would I say someone with a limb missing was like a broken snowflake? No ... because it's insulting!

A huge problem with getting people to support mental illness is that many people see it as a joke or a child like problem.  In my opinion this video only affirms and enhances that sceptical view of mental illness. I recieve 100s of heart felt messages from people who suffer from depression and I can assure you that not one person has related to a 'Black Dog'.

The words 'Climb Out' were always intended to be used as a metaphor as well as a literal meaning. I started 'Climb Out' so that people could understand my problems and so that I could try and make sense of them too. I couldn't find a 'real' person telling their story on a daily basis so I decided to do something about it.

I'm an ordinary guy, I work full time but I also work tirelessly and obsessively on Climb Out to try and change the stigma of mental health. I recently did a talk for mental health and I decided to make a video 'Inside My Mind' it consists of my thoughts on a bad day the music is my Dad singing a song he wrote called 'Half Suicidal'.

This is as far away from a black dog as you can get which is why many people won't watch or re post it. It's emotional, honest, and probably depressing but it does end positively  ... I still hold back tears when I watch it because I feel sorry for this 'other me'.

If you are going to spread a video at least let it be an open, honest attempt to explain depression. I'm sure there are many more than mine. I don't have time to look as I'm too busy trying to help people understand the reality of the situation.

Please watch this video and share the blog where you can

Thanks
Jake - Climb Out


No comments:

Post a Comment